Digital marketing has become one of the integral parts of advertising and marketing. More than half of marketers today use digital marketing to increase brand awareness and sell their products.
Besides, the most used medium for digital marketing is social media, followed by website marketing.
Want to know about the latest facts and figures related to digital marketing?
In the following article, we have compiled all the latest statistics related to digital marketing after researching from all the trusted sources.
Digital Marketing Statistics: Top Picks
Digital marketing statistics offer valuable insights into trends, consumer behavior, and effective strategies for businesses to optimize their online presence.
- The digital marketing industry is forecasted to be valued at $460 billion by the year 2023. Further by the end of the year 2026, the industry is expected to be valued at $786.2 billion.
- Digital advertising spending is expected to reach $602.25 billion by the end of the year 2023.
- United States is expected to have the largest ad spending globally. It may spend approximately $232.70 billion in 2023.
- The search advertisement has the biggest volume of $202.40 billion in the digital marketing industry.
- There was a 14% increase recorded in the digital marketing budgets of brands across the globe between the tear 2020 and 2021.
- The average spending per user on advertisements on social media is predicted to reach $45.11 in the year 2023.
- Facebook and Google ADs have the highest ROI in the paid advertising sector.
- Almost 87% of the Digital advertising revenue is expected to be generated by programmatic advertisement by the end of the year 2026.
- By the end of the year 2026, 69% of the overall advertising spending will be generated by smartphones.
- The compound annual growth rate of Digital marketing is expected to be around 17
Digital Marketing Industry
- The digital marketing industry in the United States is predicted to be $460 billion as of 2023.
- Global digital marketing is projected to have a CAGR of 9% between the years 2020 to 2026. Hence, by the end of the year 2026, the global digital market will be valued at $786.2 billion.
- 63% of the businesses reported that they had increased their digital marketing budget since last year.
- There was a growth of 14% in the digital marketing budget worldwide between the years 2020 and 2021.
- The most in-demand digital marketing skill is digital advertising, with 45% in demand for the digital marketing industry. It is followed by content creation and curation, with 42% demand in the industry.
The Success Rate Of The Digital Marketing Industry
- 86% of marketers said that they were able to increase brand awareness with the help of one or more digital marketing channels.
- 75% of the marketers were able to increase their company’s credibility and gain the trust of the customers with the help of digital marketing tactics.
- More than 80% of consumers have purchased a product from a social media advertisement.
- 56% of marketers who use blogging as a digital marketing tactic found it to be an effective method to attract the attention of consumers.
Besides, 10% of marketers said blogs generate the biggest return on investment compared to other digital marketing strategies.
- 49% of business owners reported that they received the best marketing ROI with the help of organic searches.
- Marketers that use CRM software for reporting are approximately equal to 62%.
Digital Marketing For Businesses
- On average, a local business puts around 5% to 10% of its revenue into its digital marketing budget. Comparatively larger businesses invest around 14% of their revenue in digital marketing.
- Around 75% of businesses have reported how their marketing campaigns directly influence revenue generation.
- People are ready to invest 50% more in the products of businesses that regularly respond to their reviews.
- 69.7% of people said they spend less than half their marketing budget on digital/online marketing.
- The following table displays the percentage of the marketing budget spent by marketers on digital marketing.
|Percentage Of Marketing Budget||Percentage Of Marketers|
Source: Hook agency.
- On average, companies spend 11.2% of their revenue on marketing.
Digital Marketing Channels
- 88% of the professionals reported that they use websites for digital marketing. At the same time, 83% of the people said that they used social media publishing and advertising as a digital marketing strategy.
The following table displays the percentage of marketers using different digital marketing marketing strategies worldwide.
|Digital Marketing Strategy||Percentage Of Marketers.|
|Social publishing and advertising||83%|
|Search engine marketing||67%|
Let us take a look at the major digital marketing strategies in detail.
Digital Advertising Statistics
- The revenue generated by the online advertising sector in the year 2023 is expected to be $626.89 billion. While in the year 2021, it was recorded to be $522.5 billion.
The following table displays the online advertising revenue generated over the years.
- In the year 2023, digital advertising is expected to contribute about 68.5% of worldwide advertising revenue. While in the year 2021, it contributed with a share of 65.2%.
The following table displays the share of digital advertising in the advertising market around the globe.
|Year||Percentage Of Share|
- It is forecasted that digital advertising spending in the United States will increase by nearly 6% in the year 2023. In 2022, it was recorded to be 9%.
The following table displays the increased digital advertising spending in 2022 and 2023 in the US.
|Year||Change In Digital Advertising Spending|
- 41% of the people said that they are often annoyed by advertising on the internet. At the same time, 37% of the people said that they are annoyed by the ads they get based on their search history.
The following table displays the attitude of people toward online advertising in the years 2022 and 2023.
|Attitudes||Percentage Of People|
|They are often annoyed by the advertising on the internet.||41%|
|It annoyed them when they received online ads based on their search history.||37%|
|They don’t mind advertising if they get free content in return.||35%|
|They use ad blockers while browsing the internet||26%|
|They have bought products because celebrities or influencers have advertised them.||18%|
|They don’t mind when companies use their personal data for advertising.||13%|
|They often have difficulty distinguishing advertisements from the content.||12%|
|None of the above||12%|
Email Marketing Statistics
- There are approximately 4.37 billion email users as of 2023. Besides, in the year 2021, there were only 4.14 billion email users.
The following table displays the number of email users over the years.
|Year||Number Of Users|
- 319.6 billion emails are sent and received worldwide every day.
- In the year 2023, the email marketing sector is expected to generate a revenue of $ 10.89 billion. While in the year 2027, it is expected to generate a revenue of $17.9 billion.
The following table displays the email marketing revenue over the years.
|Year||Email Marketing Revenue.|
- The email marketing software market is expected to be valued at $1.53 billion by the end of the year 2023.
The following table displays the market value of marketing software from all over the world.
|Year||Email Marketing Software Market.|
|2021||$ 1.25 billion|
- Email marketing generates $36 for every $1 spent.
- More than 36% of emails are opened by smartphone users every day.
- Mondays have the highest email opening rates of 22%. On the other hand, Sundays have the lowest opening rates of 20.3%
- The highest click-through rates are observed on Tuesdays. The recorded CTR is 2.4%. In contrast, Saturday and Sunday have the lowest CTR of 2.1%.
- The conversion rate of emails with an emoji in the subject line increases by 56%.
Content Marketing Statistics
- In the year 2023, $72 billion is expected to be generated by content marketing revenue. While in the year 2022, content marketing generated approximately $63 billion.
The following table displays the revenue earned by content marketing in the year 2023.
|Year||Content Marketing Revenue|
- 41% of marketers said that they used content marketing to increase brand awareness. At the same time, 38% of marketers said that they used it to generate leads.
The following table displays the leading goals of using content marketing worldwide.
|Goals||Percentage Of Marketers.|
|Create brand awareness||41%|
|Build credibility trust||38%|
|Build loyalty with existing customers.||33%|
|Support the launch of new products.||30%|
|Build a subscriber audience||26%|
|Drive attendance to events.||21%|
- 82% of marketers say that they actively use content marketing to promote their brand.
- Around 60% of marketers use videos for content marketing. Comparatively, 50% of marketers prefer blogging.
The following table displays the Primary forms of media used in content marketing.
|Form Of Content Marketing||Percentage Of Marketers|
- 87% of marketers reported that video marketing has helped them to level up their marketing game.
- 80% of marketers plan to invest in audio marketing and in the creation of Podcasts.
- More than 70% of marketers say that they are actively investing in content marketing as it promotes brand awareness and plays a crucial role in content marketing.
- Video marketing has increased by 61% since 2016.
- The SEO industry is worth more than $50 billion as of 2023.
- 53% of all traffic to the websites is organic traffic and is responsible for generating traffic to them.
- Around 60.9% of the organic searches on Google are recorded from mobile devices. Besides, mobile devices owned 55% of the global market share, followed by desktops having 42% of the market share of organic searches.
- Brands with dedicated blogs generate 55% more traffic as compared to the other websites.
- The SEO-generated leads have a 15% closing rate.
- 88% of the SEOs charge $150/hour or less in exchange for their services.
- Google has 85.55% of the global search engine market across the globe.
- The monthly number of Google local searches is 97 billion. Which equals to 37k local searches each second.
- More than 33% of mobile searches are related to location.
- 68% of the online shopping experience starts with a search engine.
- 12% of the search queries have the featured Snippet box on Google.
Social Media Marketing Statistics
- As the pandemic began, 87% of marketers increased their social media activity. Further, 65.6% of them concentrated on video content.
- 49% of content marketers said that they found LinkedIn very effective for content marketing.
The following table displays the most effective media platform for B2B content marketing.
|Social Media Platform||Percentage Of Marketers That Found The Platform Effective.|
- Businesses allocate around 15% of their marketing budget to social media marketing.
- Almost 30% of social media users started to spend approximately 1 to 2 hours per day on social media as of March 2020.
- There will be 4.59 billion social network users worldwide in the year 2022. While in the year 2023, the number of users is predicted to increase to 4.89 billion in the year 2023.
The following table shows the number of social media users over the years.
|Year||Number Of Users.|
- In the year 2023, the forecasted spending on mobile social media spending is $ 186.5 billion. At the same time, desktop social media advertising is expected to be $49.18 billion.
Here is the table displaying the social media ad spending worldwide over the years.
|Year||Social Media Advertising Spending For Mobile Devices.||Social Media Advertising Spending For Desktop Devices.|
|2017||35.92 billion||15.4 billion|
|2018||54.21 billion||19.62 billion|
|2019||73.84 billion||22.23 billion|
|2020||103.4 billion||27.01 billion|
|2021||145.8 billion||35.39 billion|
|2022||186.5 billion||43.06 billion|
|2023||220.5 billion||49.18 billion|
|2024||248.9 billion||54.1 billion|
|2025||275.8 billion||56.01 billion|
|2026||300.8 billion||57.12 billion|
- The United States is the leading social media advertising market, spending $80.67 million. Besides, China ranks second with a spending of $80.55 billion.
The following table displays the leading market worldwide according to social media advertising spending.
- Nearly 86% of the businesses on Facebook make use of the platform for advertising their brand.
Source: Statista, Demandsage.
- More than 74% of companies already have a website personalization program lined up.
- 88% of the customers don’t return back to the website where they have had bad experiences.
- 70% of marketers said that they are unsatisfied with the conversion rates of their websites. Besides, only 30% of the marketers said that they were satisfied with the conversion rates.
The following table displays the percentage of marketers that are satisfied with the conversion rates of their websites.
|Satisfaction Level Of Marketers||Percentage Of Marketers.|
|Satisfied with their conversion rates||30%|
|Unsatisfied with their conversion rates.||70%|
Source: Hook agency.
- Callers convert 30% faster than the leads generated from the websites.
- 62% of the companies said that they believe that a website must be redesigned after every 2 to 3 years.
- A poorly designed website on mobile won’t be recommended by 57% of internet users.
- 75% of the consumers said that they make judgments on the credibility of the company based on the website of the company.
- E-commerce websites have conversion rates of approximately equal to 2.9%.
- 64.7% of online shoppers buy products from sites that have product content written in their mother tongue.
- Almost one-third of the world is shopping online, which is equivalent to 2.14 billion people around the world.
- 69% of the e-commerce traffic is recorded from organic sources.
Mobile Commerce Statistics
- Smartphones are accountable for 70% of the visits recorded by e-commerce websites.
- 53% of online shoppers said that they prefer to shop from their favorite business app.
- The online retail e-commerce sales that come from mobile devices are recorded to be worth $3.4 trillion.
- 51% of consumers make use of mobile devices to identify and search for new items and brands in the market.
- 61% of the consumers said that if they did not find what they were looking for right away on the mobile site, they would quickly check it on the other site.
Conversion Rate And Lead Nurturing Statistics
- Companies that make efficient use of digital marketing to nurture leads tend to make 50% more sales.
- More than 20% of the businesses said that they analyze the success of their marketing channels by calculating the number of leads generated.
- 53% of marketers invest around half of their budget for lead generation.
- One of the biggest challenges faced by 37% of marketers is finding high-quality leads.
- Organic searches produce the most leads, according to 27% of marketing professionals.
Market Technology Statistics
- More than 75% of marketing professionals have a view that investments in marketing technology directly affect sales.
Besides, 91% of the marketers said that they are confident about their investment, and it has impacted the value of the company.
- Successful startups tend to invest 25% 0r more of their marketing budget in marketing technologies.
- Almost 62% of marketers use built-in marketing or CRM software.
- The global CRM market is expected to reach a valuation of $113.46 by the end of the year 2027.
- 65% of the marketing professional reported that they use CRM to manage their digital marketing activities.
- Sales technology is considered to be very important by 97% of sales professionals.
- Consumers, on average, spend 4.2 hours every day on their mobile devices.
- 85% of marketers believe that consumers expect a personalized experience from the brands.
- 56% of consumers have more trust in print media than in other marketing mediums.
- 39% of the customers said that they tried a business for the first time due to the advertisement received in their email inbox.
- 49% of the customers in the age group of 18 years to 29 years said that they had made a purchase after viewing an advertisement for the product on social media.
The following table displays the chances of consumers making a purchase after seeing an advertisement on social media.
|Percentage Of Time||Percentage Of Consumers.|
|1% to 25%||37.9%|
|26% to 50%||23.7%|
|51% to 75%||13.6%|
|76% to 100%||4.5%|
- Consumers are 155% more likely to check up on a specific brand after they have come across its display advertisement.
- Consumers are found to be 70% more likely to make a purchase from retargeting advertisements.
- After coming across a display advertisement, the user’s search activity rises by 155%.
Digital Marketing Job statistics
- The demand for marketing jobs is set to increase by 10% by the year 2026. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the demand will be above average for marketing jobs as compared to other careers.
- Search marketing managers and customer marketing managers are listed as the ten fastest-growing jobs in the United States, as per CNBC.
- 61% of digital marketing companies tend to add more digital marketers to their teams.
- Most content marketing teams usually have an average team member of 2 to 5 team members in the content marketing team.
The following table displays the content marketing team size in different B2B organizations.
|Content Marketing Team Size||Small Organization||Medium Organization||Large Organization|
Source: the social shepherd
- 50% of the B2B marketing team reported that they outsource at least one content writer for content marketing activity. Besides, 47% of the companies said that they would like a remote content marketing candidate.
Conclusion: Digital Marketing Statistics (2023)
That’s all about Digital marketing STatistics from my side.
After the covid-19 pandemic, the value of digital marketing has increased tremendously. More brands and businesses are focusing on increasing their investments in digital marketing in the year 2023.
At the same time, most consumers said that they prefer personalized advertisements and content as compared to random advertisements. Hence the digital marketing market is expected to create new records in the upcoming years.
You can check out other latest articles from our website if you have enjoyed reading digital marketing statistics.