Struggling to craft professional, error-free writing that grabs attention? Tired of losing marks on important essays or embarrassing typos in work emails? We’ve all been there!
😵💫The good news is revolutionary grammar checker software now exists to nip any mistakes in the bud and take your writing to new heights through advanced suggestions to tighten wording, enhance vocabulary, and captivate readers! 🤓
After thorough research, we have prepared a list 📝of the best Grammar Checkers to help you choose the right one for yourself. Let’s get started right away!
Top 11 Grammar Checkers: In A Nutshell (2023)
Before we get into the details of the list, here is a quick summary of the top 11 best grammar checkers online.
|Sr.No.||Grammar Checker||Free Version||Price||Key Takeaway|
|1.||Grammarly||Yes||$12/month||Best overall grammar checker.|
|2.||ProWritingAid||Yes||$20/month.||Best alternative for Grammarly|
|3.||Hemingway Editor||Yes||Free||Best to remove complex and wordy sentences.|
|4.||Ginger||Yes||$4.99/month||Best for detailed grammar checking.|
|5.||Quillbot||Yes||$4.17/month||Perfect for students|
|6.||WhiteSmoke||No||$5 per month||Helps with detailed grammar checking.|
|7.||Writer||No||$18/user/month||Perfect for teams.|
|8.||LanguageTool||Yes||$4.13/month||Suitable for writers, professionals, teachers, and students.|
|9.||Zoho Writer||Yes||Free||Best for anyone looking for a free grammar checker with best features.|
|10.||Reverso||Yes||6.49 Euros per month||Ideal for users looking for a free grammar checker.|
|11.||Scribens||Yes||9.90 Euros||Best for free options.|
Let us now go through each tool in detail below.
Undoubtedly, Grammarly is one of the best grammar checkers on our list! With millions of satisfied customers globally, Grammarly is best suited for everyone, including writers, students, and working professionals.
Grammarly allows you to check your text thoroughly for spelling errors, punctuation, and additional grammatical errors. Besides, it also helps you write better by removing wordy and unnecessary words/sentences and plenty of synonyms choices.
Moreover, you can customize the settings, so it will understand your tone and suggest changes, so you can deliver your content better. What I personally love about Grammarly is its detailed explanation of errors. By understanding why a certain thing is wrong, you can also learn to write better.
- Chrome extension so you can use Grammarly everywhere.
- Free plan available with basic corrections.
- Built-in plagiarism detector.
- Supports multiple English dialects.
- App for desktop and mobile.
- It’s a paid service to access all features. The free version only checks for basic grammar and spelling mistakes.
- It doesn’t catch contextual errors or mistakes related to tone, style, and voice very well.
Why Choose Grammarly
Price: Grammarly Premium starts at $12/month with an annual subscription. We also have an exclusive discount on Grammarly that can help you save big on your purchase.
Another AI-powered grammar checker that works exceptionally well is ProWritingAId. The tool can help you check Grammar, spelling, style, and clarity and recommend changes accordingly. It underlines the errors, and with a click of a button, you can make changes.
Another incredible feature of this grammar checker is its detailed report. It provides 20 detailed reports, including overused words, summaries, transitions, cliches, pronouns, and more. Furthermore, it also integrates with all the popular applications and websites you use, so you can use ProWritingAid wherever you are typing.
- In-app quizzes, explanations, and videos to learn as you edit.
- Customizable settings.
- Data visualization with valuable insights on your writing.
- Plagiarism detector.
- Has a free version with basic editing features.
- The free version only allows 2000 words to be checked per month.
- It doesn’t integrate with as many apps and platforms as Grammarly.
Why Choose ProWritingAid
- Checks for over 12 different types of writing issues beyond just grammar.
- Provides highly detailed reports and analytics on writing style and quality.
- Offers personalized style guides and writing templates.
Price: ProWritingAid premium is available at $20/month.
3. Hemingway Editor
If you are looking for a grammar checker that not only detects grammatical errors but also helps you write clearly and boldly, Hemingway Editor is the best tool for you!
Hemingway Editor has been my go-to tool to ensure my writing is clear and easily readable. You can paste your content into the editor, and it will highlight complex sentences and words with multiple colors.
Each color depicts different errors that you can understand on your screen. Additionally, it gives you a detailed report, so you can understand where you are going wrong.
Furthermore, you can tap on the errors, and it will give recommendations with the right words/sentences. Lastly, it gives you two modes -write and edit. You can use the modes as per your needs.
- Readability score to understand how readable your content is.
- Beginner-friendly and simple user interface.
- Comes with a Desktop application.
- Suggests simpler alternative words.
- Allots multiple colors for multiple issues in your text.
- Only checks writing for complexity and readability, not grammar or style.
- Has a very basic editing interface without detailed reports or explanations.
Why Choose Hemingway Editor
- Quickly analyzes text and highlights complex sentences.
- Provides sentence-level clarity and conciseness scores.
- Helps simplify writing for any audience or reading level.
Price: Hemingway Editor is free to use.
Claiming itself as your personalized editor, Ginger is a robust tool. Grammar checker is Ginger’s primary feature that lets you check grammar error, punctuation, and spelling mistakes.
The user interface of Ginger is pretty straightforward and simple to understand. You can paste the content through its editor, and it will automatically make changes for the errors.
Besides, you also get an explanation of the changes Ginger has made, so you can understand where you were committing mistakes, hence improving your next content. An additional excellent feature of Ginger is its rephrasing feature. When you are checking your grammar errors, you can rephrase your content.
This feature is excellent for people who want to repurpose their content yet make it sound unique. Overall, the free version can help you with the basic corrections. However, you can always upgrade to Ginger Premium for the best features.
- Sentence rephraser.
- Chrome extension works on every website you use.
- You can download the desktop application.
- Excellent proofreading capabilities.
- Helps fix tricky and dyslexic spelling mistakes.
- Offers limited free plan; paid plans can be expensive.
- Focuses more on grammar/spell checking, less on style/tone.
Why Choose Ginger
- Checks text in over 20 languages, not just English.
- Works offline on the desktop for distraction-free writing.
- Integrates easily into MS Word, Google Docs, Outlook and more.
Price: $4.99/month for a 2-year subscription.
Popularly known for its rephrasing capabilities, Quillbot has made its name in the market. Besides the paraphrasing feature, Quillbot now enables users to check grammatical errors in their content.
The grammar checker supports three languages -English, German, and French. Once you paste or upload your text, it will automatically underline the errors.
The free version of Quillbot is accessible to everyone. However, compared to the premium version, Quillbot’s free version doesn’t pick up every mistake. If you want to paraphrase the content you checked, you can do it with a click of a button.
Furthermore, Quillbot doesn’t have a mobile or desktop application, but you can download its Chrome and Word extensions to use it through your browser or while you are writing.
- One-click fix for all the errors.
- Built-in plagiarism detector.
- Summarize and citation generator tools are also included.
- The free version works amazingly well to detect errors.
- Best options for students.
- Grammar checking is limited and focuses more on paraphrasing.
- No detailed reports on writing quality or style guidelines.
Why Choose Quillbot
- Paraphrases sentences and paragraphs instantly.
- Great for avoiding plagiarism or improving writing flow.
- Checks for grammar and spelling mistakes during paraphrasing.
Price: The annual price for Quillbot Premium is $4.17/month.
WhiteSmoke is a dedicated tool to enhance your writing and ensure you write 100% grammatically correct content. Out of all its exceptional features, the grammar checker is one of its primary features that detects more than 10+ types of errors.
The tool proudly claims to help users fix incomplete sentences, wrong punctuation, spelling mistakes, capitalization, fragments, dangling modifiers, missing words, object clauses, and more.
Talking about its user interface, I found it quick and simple to understand. All the options are easy to navigate, and the errors are visible on your screen. While the tool is ideal for anyone who needs detailed checking of their content, the only drawback is that it doesn’t have a free version.
You will have to purchase the tool to access its features. However, it is worth paying every penny if you want to write the best content!
- One-click instant proofreading.
- In-built translator tool that helps to translate into more than 50 languages.
- Plagiarism checker is included with all the plans.
- Integrates with other writing platforms.
- Plenty of tutorials and guides.
- Interface can feel outdated compared to newer grammar checkers.
- Few customization options for rules, dictionaries, or preferences.
Why Choose WhiteSmoke
- Checks documents in multiple languages besides English.
- Identifies style, wordiness, and punctuation issues.
- Rates text on several readability metrics.
Price: The web version is priced at $5 per month, whereas the premium version is available at $6.66/per month.
If you are looking for the best grammar checker that goes beyond just assisting you in checking Grammar, Writer is the best tool. Out of all the tools mentioned in our list, Writer stands as a distinctive tool that works best for teams and businesses.
The tool can help in achieving consistency in your writing style, brand voice, and terminology.
Additionally, it comes with style guides that help you and your team to align with the same writing styles and achieve consistency. It integrates with all the available tools online, including Gmail, Google Docs, Word, Outlook, and more.
Furthermore, Writer is also a highly secure platform that protects your content and ensures it is safe. The only drawback of Writer is that it doesn’t work for students or individuals.
- Vocabulary enhancement.
- Brand voice alignment.
- Easy to use and simple dashboard.
- Plagiarism checker to ensure your content is 100% unique.
- Customized content scoring.
- Checks for basic grammar only, no style, or complexity metrics.
- Very limited free version and paid plans can be expensive.
Why Choose Writer
- Focuses analysis on grammar, and spelling exclusively.
- Provides clear, concise explanations for all errors.
- Prioritizes precision over other writing concerns.
Price: the team plan is available at $18 per user/month.
LanguageTool is an open-source online grammar and style checker that comes with powerful features. Supporting multiple languages, you can use LanguageTool to check your content thoroughly for errors in different languages.
You can upload your content through different formats or paste it into its editor. The tool will automatically point out all the errors and underline them. You can tap on the error and let LanguageTool make changes for you!
Additionally, it also comes with a rephrasing tool that works perfectly well to make your existing content unique. Moreover, you can download applications for LanguageTool on your Windows and Mac. The desktop application helps you use the tool anywhere you are writing, including your notes, iMessage, emails, and more.
Lastly, if you just need help with basic grammar checking, the free version will work just fine.
- Personal dictionary for customization.
- Browser add-ons for Chrome, Safari, and more.
- Unlimited sentence rephrasing with the premium version.
- Helps with typography and formatting.
- Semantic features, including incorrect dates, double negation, and more.
- The interface can be confusing for beginners to understand.
- Only checks for grammar issues, no other writing metrics.
Why Choose LanguageTool
- Completely free to use with no feature limits.
- Open source so anyone can review and improve code.
- Supports checking text in over 30 languages.
Price: You can get the 2-year plan starting at $4.13/month.
9. Zoho Writer
While Zoho is a popular software, its grammar checker doesn’t stay behind other tools in the market. Powered by advanced machine learning technology, its grammar checker scans your content in detail for any grammatical or spelling errors.
Moreover, it also points out unclear and wordy sentences, so you can write and deliver content with better clarity.
In addition to these features, Zoho Writer also understands your content’s readability and provides suggestions to make it better. It underlines the errors, and tapping on them will give you a preview of the correction along with a quick explanation.
You can tap on the correction, and Zoho will automatically correct it with you. Furthermore, I love Zoho’s interface. It has zero learning curve and helped me detect errors within a few seconds!
- Helps in removing redundancy.
- Enhances writing quality.
- Additional tools of Zoho can be used with Zoho Writer.
- Detects informal writing.
- Has Mobile and desktop applications.
- Few customization options for rules or preferences.
- No integration with other writing apps.
Why Choose Zoho Writer
- Online word processor with grammar check built-in.
- Real-time grammar checking as you type.
- Checks documents in multiple file formats.
Price: Zoho Writer is free to use.
Primarily launched as a translator, Reverso is widely used for its quick translation capabilities. Supporting English, German, Russian, French, and 15+ more languages, the tool also has a dedicated spell-checker feature.
The spell checker will scan your content for any major grammatical and spelling errors and automatically replace them with the correct spelling.
Additionally, you can rephrase or translate your grammatically correct within the same interface and with a click of a button. If you are using the free version, you have certain restrictions. Moreover, the advertisements on the online editor can be overwhelming sometimes.
However, you can eliminate this by opting for the premium version. The premium version will also allow you to use the tool without any limits on the words and rephraser.
- Application for Windows and Mac.
- One-click corrections.
- Helps in finding the appropriate synonyms.
- Detects plagiarism.
- Chrome and Firefox extensions.
- Grammar checking is very basic; it only checks for typos.
- Limited to online text input, no file uploads or editing.
Why Choose Reverso
- Checks spelling and typos in multiple languages.
- Online dictionary for word definitions and translations.
- Contextual translation of whole phrases.
Price: 6.49 Euros per month for the annual plan.
Last but not least, on our list of best grammar checkers is Scribens. Scribens is a robust grammar-checking tool that helps in detecting up to 250+ types of errors. Considering just the free version, Scribens offers exceptional features to help you write the best content.
It underlines all the errors using different colors and provides a detailed report on the right side of your screen. You can tap on the error, and it will recommend changes along with an explanation.
Personally, when I was going through Scribens, I was impressed with its detailed checking and reports with the free version itself.
The only thing I didn’t like was the constant advertisements. But you can remove them and access more features with the premium version. Scribens can be used by students, working professionals, writers, authors, and more.
- Scribens is available as an extension.
- Works with other Grammar checkers, too, including Gramamrly.
- The premium version lets you check up to 50 pages.
- Mobile keyboard via Scribens application.
- Customizable settings options.
- Limited language support mainly focuses on English.
- The basic free version has very strict usage limits.
Why Choose Scribens
- Checks grammar and style issues beyond just spelling.
- Identifies passive voice, wordiness, and complex structures.
- Rates document on standardized readability scales.
Price: the monthly plan starts at 9.90 Euros.
Final Verdict: Best Grammar Checkers (2023)
Now that we have reached the end of the best grammar checker list, I hope it made your search easier.
If you are confused and need a quick recap of all the tools, here is my suggestion.
- Grammarly and ProWritingAid: Best overall grammar checker.
- Hemingway Editor: to remove unclarity and make your content highly readable.
- Quillbot, Zoho Writer, and WhiteSmoke: If you are a student.
- Writer and Ginger: If you are looking for a grammar checker for your team.
All the tools mentioned in the list are free to use or have free versions. So, you can try these tools and decide which one suits your needs the best.
Lastly, no matter which tool you pick from the list above, you won’t be disappointed!
Grammarly works the best for everyone, including students, professionals, writers, teachers, and more. It comes with powerful features that let you understand your mistakes, correct them, and write better.
Grammarly and Quillbot are excellent options for students. You can use the free version that will help you with basic grammar checking. Besides grammar-checking abilities, they also come with plagiarism detectors and other tools that can come in handy.
Writer works perfectly for teams and businesses. Similarly, Grammarly’s business plan is also ideal for teams and businesses. Both tools have robust functionalities to help you and your team be on the same page when it comes to content.
Most tools in our list are either free or come with a free version. For a quick recommendation, you can try Grammarly, Hemingway Editor, LanguageTool, and Quillbot.